Monday, November 30, 2009

Chapter Seven: Kurt's Home

Copyright 2009. All Rights Reserved.

After a long bath in the warm waters, I dressed myself in the clothing that Lynled had provided.
We were nearly the same size, the largest difference being the six inches with which she towered over me. The clothing was as fantastic as Kurt and Jarvis had said, in a lovely pink rose color. The fabric was like silk, but with less gloss, more soft and smooth. The clothing was a form-fitting dress which fell to my ankles, with long sleeves and a square neckline, and there were soft slippers in the same color as the clothing. As I had expected, the clothing was much too long.
“Oh well.” I sighed, looking at my reflection in the mirror. Short little Natalie looked right back. I made a face at my brown eyes and long straight dark brown hair, and remembered what my father had said to me a few years ago when I had complained about my brown hair.
“This is the most beautiful hair color that I have ever seen,” he had declared. “It is exactly the color of coffee.”
“Daaaad” I wailed.
“What? I like coffee.” he’d replied.
Smiling at the memory, I went back into my room and looked longingly at the room's small bookcase. Of course, none of the books was written in English, so I could not read them. After a bit of useless staring, I ended up taking a long nap. I was awakened by a tap on the door.
“Come in!” I called, after I sat bolt upright on the bed. The door opened slowly to reveal the young girl that had brought me the clothing.
“If you please, the lady Amza asked me to tell you that we'll be eating within the hour and that I was to do your hair.” she said in her quiet little voice. I smiled at her and gestured for her to come in. She did, her arms full of hair-dressing supplies, followed by a strange little animal.
“What is that?” I asked, fascinated by the creature. She glanced up.
“Oh, that's a Keelan lap faala.” she said casually. “They're not very common around here.” The animal was small, with long fur, a flat nose, round button eyes, and I found it very cute.
After a few quizzical sniffs at my hand, it settled in my lap.
“He used to be the lady Lynled's favorite, you know.” she said conversationally as she expertly twisted my hair. “Then when Dr. Kalan got sick, she drew all inside herself. Master Kurt, too. They're strange that way: secretive of their sorrows. You always know if they're in pain but they never share it.” I nodded thoughtfully. Kurt had acted exactly in that way with me. It had been easy to tell that something was wrong, but even now I only knew that the doctor was ill.
“There!” the girl exclaimed, breaking into my thoughts. Glancing into the mirror, I turned back for a second look. I looked several years older and very elegant. That seemed to be the style of Thayans: indisputable elegance.
The girl directed me to the dining room. When I entered, the family was already seated at a long, formal table. Only Amza, Lynled, Jarvis, and Kurt sat at the long table: no Dr. Kalan. Although she looked weary, Amza gave me a warm smile. Lynled let a tiny smile hover at the corners of her mouth.
“Good evening, my dear.” Amza said to me in her gentle ladylike voice. I smiled at her.
“Good evening.” I replied.
“Come, sit by Lynled and me.” she invited. As I moved to occupy the seat between her and Lynled, she continued “I see that Lynled has provided you with some clothing.” I nodded. “The color is very lovely on you. Perhaps tomorrow Lynled could take you to the market and have you fitted for some clothing of your own.”
“Oh, thank you. I don’t want to put you to any trouble though.” I said apologetically as the food began to be served.
“No bother at all.” Lynled said helpfully. I watched her warily for a moment. Jarvis grinned at us across the table.
“Getting to go shopping? A bother for Lynled? I don’t think so!” he said teasingly. Lynled flashed a smile at him.
“Of course I never mind an excuse to go to the market.” she said more naturally. “There’s always so much to see and do. I assume that this is your first time in Eleadia?” she asked, turning to me.
“Um, yes.” I said, fidgeting a little.
“Then we’ll make a proper day of it!” she announced. “I’ll show you some of the sights.” I smiled at her gratefully. It seemed she had made up her mind to be friendly.
“Slow down, Lynled.” Jarvis broke in from across the table, holding up his hands. “I seem to remember a certain promise that we made to Natalie telling her that Kurt and I would show her around.” Lynled pouted at him for a moment.
“You can share, can’t you? Maybe you and Kurt could join us.” she said vivaciously.
“Very well. What do you say, Kurt?” Jarvis asked, turning to Kurt where he sat slowly eating his soup.
“I say that the plan sounds good, on one condition.” he said, looking up deliberately. “Natalie is probably tired from the traveling. Have a craftswoman come to the house to fit her for clothes tomorrow and postpone the outing until next week, when we can show her around more properly. Does that sound agreeable?” he asked, his penetrating gaze resting firmly on me.
“I am a little tired.” I admitted.
“Excellent! Next week it is.” Jarvis exclaimed.
Here Amza broke in with a remark about an acquaintance of theirs, and the conversation shifted.
After dinner, Lynled and I retired to my room.
“I think I’ll like you,” she announced, looking at me with those penetrating eyes of hers. I cocked my head at her.
“On what grounds?” I asked, curious.
“You seem to be good-intentioned if rather clueless. And that quiet way that you were pretending to at dinner is not your natural manner.” she said frankly. “I think that if one could ever get past your guarded tongue, you could tell some interesting stories. I’m a character-reader, you see.” Before I could reply a knock came to the door.
It was Kurt. After I opened the door he looked at me for a moment.
“Could I speak with you?”
Lynled came up behind me and looked at Kurt for a moment.
“Hello, Brother.” she said drily. He nodded at her.
“I need to speak with Natalie.” he said. There was a pause. “Alone.” Lynled rolled her eyes at Kurt.
“Good night, Natalie.” she said, sweeping out of the room. “We must continue that conversation another time.”
“Good night, Lynled.” I called after her, a ripple of amusement in my voice at her dramatic style.
“Won’t you come in?” I invited hesitantly. He nodded briefly and stepped inside. I sat down on the bed and looked up at him, curious and confused.
“We need to talk about what to do with you.” he announced after pacing back and forth a few times. I raised an eyebrow.
“What to do with me?” I repeated. “What would you suggest?”
“Well, naturally you must be taken before the counselors.” he mused, thinking aloud. “And of course you must tell no one — not even the rest of my family — that you’re an alien.”
“Of course.” I said, slightly indignant.
“I suppose that the time has come to explain what is going on in the family.” he said, sighing. I remained silent, sympathizing with the pain on his face. “You’ve probably already gathered some of the situation: my father is ill — very ill. We’re in fear of his life. The case seemed hopeless — both he and his colleagues have tried everything they knew. The only cure that had not been tried was a new plant that a settlement of pioneers had discovered. It was said to be good for many previously untreatable ailments, and so Jarvis and I were sent to gather it. Although the plant has been administered, we don’t know yet if it will do any good. The disease is immensely painful in its latter stages and my father is nearing the first of those stages. If the plant does not go into effect—” Here he stopped. I nodded and spoke quickly, to prevent him from saying any more.
“I understand, and I’ll wait with you and your family until more is known. I’ll not add to your pain at this time.”
“And will you give me your word of honor not to try anything— contacting your father or exploring the city on your own or anything like that — unless you’ve previously discussed it with me?”
“Yes.” I said, drawing a deep breath.
“Good.” he said, his face lightening a little. He stopped and stared into my face for a moment and then nodded decisively. “Khnack thanks you.” And with that he took my hand, hesitated, dropped it, and strode out of the room. After he left I stood there for a moment, trying to make sense of his strange behavior. Finding the mystery too difficult for unraveling, I dressed myself in some of Lynled’s nightclothes and went sensibly to bed.

1 comment:

  1. I really am enjoying your use of the first person narrative. It requires your audience to stay in the room with Natalie while there are secret things going on in the house. We learn more about what's going on with the main character and are confused with her, etc. It really helps us to FEEL what she's going through.
    I also thoroughly enjoyed the conversations in this chapter. You did a good job of giving individual characters individual voices. And it's witty.

    ReplyDelete