Monday, November 23, 2009

Chapter Six: Entering Eleadia

Copyright 2009. All Rights Reserved.

“Natalie, you had better stay in the wagon for now. Today is market day, so we’ll have some strangers walking among us, but your clothing and eyes are just enough to raise curiosity.” Kurt said, taking the lead. I looked down at my clothing and flushed. My brief washing of the morning had not been enough to remove all dirt from my clothing, and it was wrinkled from the day of traveling.

Kurt sat ramrod straight with nervous energy, unable to sit still but equally unwilling to move about. Jarvis reached out a hand and touched Kurt on his arm. He turned abruptly towards Jarvis with an amazingly quick reflex. “Stop worrying,” Jarvis said gently, holding his eyes steadily on Kurt. There was a strange mix of emotions in that gaze: affection, concern, and sympathy, to name a few. Kurt nodded jerkily, unable to speak, and again stared at the approaching city.
Inside the wagon was quiet, but outside I began to hear a cacophony of sounds, including a loud hum of many conversations. Occasional detached fragments of speech drifted past us. After some time had passed, in which I tried very hard not to look outside, Kurt brought the wagon to a halt.
“We’re here,” Kurt whispered hoarsely. For a moment no one stirred, then Kurt and Jarvis climbed out of the wagon. Jarvis reached up a hand to assist me out of the wagon. I smiled at him gratefully because the wagon was tall and I was not.
By the time I had made my awkward exit from the wagon, Kurt was already greeting two women that had come out of the house that we had stopped at.
“Mother, Lynled — how is he?” The older of the two smiled tiredly as Kurt embraced her.
“He holds his own for now,” she said softly, “But you must go to him at once and administer the herbs. He says that less than a day remains before the delirium.” Kurt drew away from her suddenly.
“A day!” he exclaimed. She nodded sadly as he muttered something under his breath. “I will go to him at once.” he declared, turning to stride over to the wagon. He glanced over at me as he pulled out a plant and said
“I almost forgot. This is Natalie. She will be staying with us for a while.” And with that he whirled away from the wagon with his precious cargo and quickly walked into the house, Jarvis close behind him.
A sudden silence descended on the courtyard as the two women surveyed me. I felt myself blush with embarrassment as I realized what a picture I must look. The moment seemed forever but my heart had beat only five or six times before Kurt’s mother stepped forward.
“Welcome, my dear.” she said warmly.
“Th-thank you,” I managed.
“I am Amza,” she continued graciously, “and this is my daughter Lynled.”
“I’m pleased to meet you,” I said, trying to imitate Amza’s dignity. Then I turned my attention to Lynled as she walked toward me. She was very beautiful: tall and slender, with thick blonde hair that literally looked like gold, she had a presence and air about her that immediately drew attention. She favored her brother, but her features had a delicacy that Kurt’s did not. Their strongest difference was undoubtedly their eyes: Kurt’s were a dark, piercing green while Lynled had cool amber eyes that were currently appraising me.
“You were... traveling with Kurt?” she asked without a greeting, her brows drawn together.
“Yes.” I replied warily.
“Ah.”
“Will you join us inside?” Amza interjected mildly, gesturing towards the house.
“Thank you, yes.” I replied politely.
“We will have one of the servants bring your belongings into the house so that you can change out of your traveling clothes.”
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
The blankness of my mind could have filled all of space as I stood there hopelessly trying to think of a way to explain my lack of luggage.
“Um, I — I don’t have any.” I stammered. Amza looked surprised but recovered herself quickly, too polite to question further.
“Perhaps Lynled could lend you some clothing to change into. Please, come in.” Amza said, walking to the front door of the house and holding it open hospitably for us. I followed her and Lynled into the house as Amza continued talking.
“I'm sure you understand the need for quiet, since my husband is ill, but I hope that you will be comfortable with us, and that your journey has not been in vain. Lynled, could you please show Natalie to her rooms and have some clothing brought?”
Lynled nodded and gracefully led the way to the second story, down a long passageway and into a room.
“These are your rooms,” she said. “I will have the clothing brought.” She surveyed me up and down. “Not very tall, are you?” she asked with a hint of amusement in her voice. I replied evenly
“Tall enough.” She nodded crisply.
“We just may get along,” she said, “You will be sent for at dinner. Until then we will all be resting in our rooms, and ask you to do the same.” and left without another word.
I’m beginning to see more points of similarity between Lynled and her brother. I thought to myself as I stared after her. Both of them are abrupt.
Careful not to touch anything in my begrimed state, I examined the room. It was large and spacious, with two long windows along one side overlooking a garden. I realized that everything in the house was more luxurious than anything that I had encountered before. On the walls were weavings of cloth that I assumed were the famed tapestries Jarvis and Kurt had told me about. They showed richly colored pictures of marketplace scenes, a family meal, and two riders on sleek, well-muscled jemnz, racing across a meadow. I had been moving around the room, fascinated with the detail and life in the tapestries when a knock on the door interrupted my thoughts.
“Come in,” I called, still gazing at the tapestries. Someone cleared their throat and I turned. A young girl, perhaps ten or eleven years old, was standing near the door with an armful of clothing.
“The lady Lynled requested that I bring you these.” she said softly in a lilting voice.
“Thank you.” I said, reaching out to take the clothing. I smiled at her gratefully. “This clothing will be immediately used. Please send my thanks to Lynled.” She bobbed her head and withdrew, gently closing the door behind her. I walked into the room that my own was connected to and found a bathroom in the old sense of the word. It literally was a room just for bathing in, with a large bathtub and a full-length mirror.
“Lovely.” I said aloud, and promptly began making use of the wonderfully big bathtub.

1 comment: