Monday, December 14, 2009

Chapter Eight: Secrets and Misconceptions

Copyright 2009. All Rights Reserved.

Days passed and Dr. Kalan's health remained the same. I saw little of Kurt and Jarvis; since they had taken over the doctor's business for the time being they were too busy to talk much with me. Many times at the dinner table their conversation was devoted almost exclusively to diagnostics of patients. Amza, although polite, was often at her husband's side, so it fell to Lynled to amuse me.
We had many long conversations in which she did the majority of the talking: because of the promise that I had given Kurt, there was little I could share with Lynled about myself. Sometimes I would catch her looking at me in a strange way, and I wondered uneasily if she could guess my secret. She was very clever: although not quite the companion that I would had imagined for myself on the space station, she was intelligent and well-spoken. She had a lively humor that often took me by surprise and once again reminded me of her brother. The only time that Lynled spoke other than sense was when Kurt and Jarvis were around and she fell into the role of little sister.I often wished that I could ask her to teach me to read Thayan: the books in my room tantalized me with their strange characters. I worried that even the rusticated country bumpkin I was posing as would already be able to read, so I said nothing and longed in silence. Although I battled homesickness, the majority of my longing was for my father and Dobbs: the space station itself was not missed.
“Are you and Natalie available tomorrow, Lynled?” Kurt asked one evening at the dinner table. Lynled glanced over at me questioningly. After I nodded my head eagerly she replied, one delicate eyebrow raised
“I believe that we might be able to fit it into our busy schedule.” I stifled a giggle: our days were anything but busy.
“Good.” Kurt replied cheerfully. “Jarvis and I would like to join you for that promised excursion to the marketplace.” He actually sounds happy! I thought to myself, surprised.
“We'd be pleased to join you girls and have nothing pressing to do in the business, so we're yours to command tomorrow.” Jarvis continued, smiling warmly at Lynled and me.
“And the best news of all,” burst in Kurt, “is that Father is feeling much stronger. His colleagues agree that he’ll pull through.” There was a sunburst of smiles all around the table. Even I found myself smiling broadly and I realized that this worried, close-knit family had become very dear to me in the last week.
“We hope that soon the doctor will be joining us at the dinner table,” Jarvis grinned. Kurt glanced across the table at me, his happy glow fading a little. I gathered that the doctor hadn’t been informed yet that I was here. I smiled as reassuringly as I could at him, faking a confidence that I did not feel.
“Natalie, would you mind going for a short walk with me after dinner?” Kurt asked. “We need to work out some details about when you return.” Both Jarvis and I stared at him for a moment in blank surprise and I felt a nasty knot form in my stomach.
“Certainly…” I replied reluctantly.
“I had to formulate an explanation for Mother and Lynled as to why we would take this walk.” Kurt told me later as we walked into the flower garden at the back of the house. “They’re probably speculating enough about you as it is.”
“Ah,” I said, realization hitting me. “Lynled is curious,” I admitted. “I don’t think she knows exactly what is going on, but she’s suspicious.” Kurt nodded.
“That sounds exactly like her.” he said, wryly affectionate. “She’s always been a sharp one.”
“Kurt— do you think I could tell her about who I really am?” I asked, a longing to end the secrecy welling up within me. “She knows that I’m concealing something, and she’s going to find out either way.” We stopped in front of a tall, dark green bush as Kurt considered this.
“I don’t think it would be wise.” he finally said. He plucked a tiny blue flower off the bush and handed it to me. “Lynled is like this flower: delicate. A shock like this could undermine your friendship with her.”
“But, how strong can a friendship be if it has such a deception humped inside it?” I asked, countering his logic. I didn’t mention that Lynled had a much stronger mind and will than he imagined her to possess.
“True.” Kurt said slowly. He began walking again and I hurried to follow. “I’ll leave it to your discretion then.”
“Good.” I said, satisfied. “I’ll tell her tonight.”
“I didn’t bring you out here to talk about Lynled, Natalie.” Kurt said quietly. “My father’s health has improved; we think he will recover. You should probably be taken to see the counselors soon. Could you be ready in two days time?” I sighed.
“I suppose.”
“The counselors will be just. They have many years of wisdom behind them.” he said reassuringly. I smiled at him.
“Thanks.” I said, and we began to discuss the next day’s activities.
When I got back to my room, I found Lynled sitting on my bed glaring at me accusingly.
“Why didn’t you tell me?” she demanded before I had even entered the room. I looked at her quizzically.
“Tell you what?” I asked, carefully closing the door.
“That you would be going back. I thought you liked it here.” she said, abandoning the bed in favor of a comfortable armchair. She crossed her legs and leaned her head on her hands, waiting for an explanation.
“I do!” I said quickly. “I really do. It’s just…” How can I explain? I thought uncomfortably.
“I thought I would call you sister,” Lynled said.
“You WHAT?” I exclaimed, jerking my head up.
“I said I thought I could call you sister.” she repeated. I slowly sank down onto the bed.
“What do you mean?” I asked warily. Lynled gave me several long curious looks.
“I thought that it was a nation-wide tradition,” she remarked mildly. “You must have lived far out in the country indeed.”
“Well… farther than that.” I replied nervously. And with that I launched into my long story and the events of the past week and a half. Lynled proved to be as good a listener as talker, and she paid attentive interest in the whole of my story.
“So you’re really an alien from another planet.” she said when I finished. There was a long pause, and then Lynled burst out laughing. “It’s too funny,” she gasped. Noticing my confused expression, she paused. “Oh. You really wouldn’t know our customs.” she said. I shook my head. “You see, on Khnack families are very close-knit affairs.” she began. “When a young man is considering taking a wife and the woman is similarly interested, he’ll bring her home to meet the family. She’ll stay until the family has reached an opinion and the young man a decision.”
“Oh.” I breathed, unable to say anything else. My face was flushed from embarrassment.
“You understand the confusion of course.” Lynled said, surveying my face. “I really did feel at first that Kurt was acting too cold, and the timing was very strange. We knew that you wouldn’t even meet Father until he was feeling better.” I was struck by a terrible thought.
“You haven’t talked to Kurt about this, have you?” I gasped.
“Not yet,” Lynled answered, amused. “Do you want me to?” And when I glared at her she just smiled merrily. “But really,” she said, returning to gravity, “As I can see that you would prefer me not to mention the matter, Kurt won’t hear a word about my foolish assumption.”
“Thank you.” I said, my cheeks burning. “It would be greatly appreciated.”

1 comment:

  1. It seems a little strange to me that Natalie has so quickly formed a friendship with Lynled. Natalie has been portrayed as an only child who has grown up friendless except for a father and a male computer/teacher. Her relationships with Kurt and Jarvis are more understandable. Those relationships happened rather quickly too, but they are less intimate. Maybe earlier in the story (before leaving the space station) she could mention that she has friends there, even just in passing. Or in this chapter, some mention of memories of her mother before she died. I don't know, something just doesn't feel natural about such a close female friendship based on the character Natalie presented so far.
    The conversations portrayed are wonderful. You have a gift for creating vivid personalities through the characters' conversations.

    ReplyDelete