Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Chapter Ten: The Marketplace

The marketplace was amazing, with people bustling in every direction. Small pavilions lined all the sides of the market’s square, and uneven lines of booths sprawled across its center. For the number of people it was surprisingly quiet, with only a huge bumblebee hum of conversation.
“Where shall we start?” Lynled asked, standing with her hands on her hips surveying the marketplace.
“How about there?” Jarvis asked, randomly pointing.
“Good.” she agreed and we plunged into the midst of the market. Time flew quickly as I examined tapestries, jewelry, and many other products and services that when I finally paused for a moment it was nearly noon. Jarvis and Lynled were chatting as they examined a booth filled only with gold colored cloth.
“What do you think?” Kurt asked from close beside me. I looked up at him with glowing eyes. “I agree with everything you said about Eleadia. It’s the most amazing place I’ve ever heard of!” Kurt smiled at my enthusiasm.
“You like it then.” he stated. I nodded vigorously.
“What about those seeds that Lynled was talking about? I can’t remember seeing those.”
“They’re in another part of the marketplace. I’m hoping that we’ll visit it after lunch.” he replied.
“What are you two chattering about?” Lynled asked, coming up behind us with her arms full of purchases.
“We were talking about where to eat.” Kurt answered.
“Is it lunchtime already? How time flies.” Jarvis commented.
“Just a minute: I’m going to get a carter and then we can eat.” Lynled said, hurrying towards a Thayan man who was wheeling a small wheelbarrow.
“What’s she doing?” I asked, watching her.
“She’s hiring a carter to take her purchases home.” Jarvis explained. “That way she won’t have to carry them around.” I nodded, struck by the trust shown in the man.
In the end, we ate at a small inn at the edge of the marketplace. After lunch, Kurt took us to the stand that offered seeds.
“Amazing.” I murmured, looking at the small bins holding dozens of different kinds of seeds.
“This particular stand only sells flower seeds.” Kurt remarked, running his fingers through a nearby bin.
“Only flowers?” I gasped. The others looked at me curiously. I recovered myself quickly. “I’m sorry,” I apologized. “On the space station we were only able to coax two varieties of flowers to grow.”
“You like to garden?” Kurt asked with quick interest. I hesitated.
“I like to garden, yes,” I said doubtfully. “But the plants my father and I tried to grow were always weak and unhealthy.” Kurt nodded.
“You should try working in the garden at the house,” he offered. “Plants are always stronger when they’re outdoors. In fact, thinking along those lines, I’ll get you some seeds that are easy growers.”
“Thank you,” I said, slightly surprised. “I would enjoy that.”
The next day I rose and dressed early, too nervous to sleep. Kurt was going to take me to the counselors, and the mere thought turned my stomach. On the way home, we had stopped briefly by the Counselor’s Hall where they met for decision-making, and Kurt had made an appointment for an audience.
I found myself heading towards the garden in the hope that I could calm myself. Nik, Lynled’s faala, followed.
“Shhhh,” I whispered, picking him up as we exited the house. “Others are still sleeping.” I padded noiselessly to the edge of the path and stopped, breathing in the cool morning air.
“Beautiful.” Kurt stated from behind me. I turned to face him, nodding and smiling assent. “We have nearly two hours: do you want to plant some of the seeds I got yesterday?” he asked.
“I would enjoy that. It’s been a long time since I’ve even attempted to garden,” I admitted. “It got too discouraging watching my plants die.”
We spent at least an hour and a half in the garden, planting and watering the seeds. As we planted, Kurt carefully described the plants that the seeds would grow into. Nik frolicked around us, investigating the garden and coming over occasionally for attention. Kurt looked up at the sky.
“It’s almost time, Natalie.” he said with his usual gravity. I nodded.
“I’d better go change.” I said, looking down at the dirt on my clothes. It was only on my way up to my room that I realized I had forgotten to thank him.

1 comment:

  1. I think that chapters 9 and 10 should be combined to be one longer chapter. Chapter 9 doesn't really stand on its own. I think it's ok to have chapters of different lengths.

    It's interesting to me that Natalie doesn't seem to be missing her home and family. She rarely thinks of them. She also doesn't seem to be worried about how to get home. It's interesting because it allows you to be calm about reading the story as she is about telling it. If she were worried, I think it would make the reader more anxious to read on and see how the problem is solved.

    ReplyDelete